Date: December 04, 2013
This recipe from Executive Chef John Brazie marries the classic holiday flavors of peppery gingerbread with creamy cheesecake.
Bake/Cook time: 250*F, in a water-bath for approx. 60 minutes or until done
Yield: One 10" round pan with toasted graham cracker crust
• 2 lbs cream cheese
• 12 oz granulated sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1 oz vanilla extract
• 2 oz. molasses
• 1 ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp ground cloves
• ½ tsp lemon zest
• Toasted graham crackers
1. Pre-heat oven to 275*F.
2. Line the bottom of the baking pan with parchment paper then cover with a thin layer of toasted graham crackers (If using a "spring-form" style pan, make sure to wrap some foil to cover the outside bottom and sides of the pan so no water from the water-bath will leak into the cheesecake pan/mixture)
3. Cream the cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl with a paddle, scraping sides of the bowl and the paddle to keep the mix smooth.
4. Add eggs slowly to the cheese mixture, scraping the bowl’s sides and paddle as needed to keep the mix smooth; add vanilla extract to incorporate.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the molasses salt, zest and spices; add it slowly to the cheese mixture to incorporate, scraping the sides of the bowl and paddle to keep the mix smooth.
6. Pour the mixture into the 10” pan.
7. Place the cheesecake in the pan into a large, shallow roasting pan. Transfer to the oven, and carefully add enough water to the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the 10” pan. Bake until the cheesecake is set but still slightly wobbly in center – approximately 60 minutes. Carefully remove the 10” pan from the roasting pan, and let cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 8 hours (preferably overnight).