Things you will need:
• 1 bar of semi-sweet baking chocolate
• 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening (Crisco)
• Microwave-safe bowl
• Metal cookie sheet
• Flat spatula
• Sharp-edged spatula
1. Place three squares of chocolate and one tablespoon of shortening into a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Place the bowl into the microwave and heat on high 30 to 45 seconds, or until the shortening is melted.
3. Remove from the microwave and stir with a fork until the chocolate and shortening are thoroughly combined.
4. Take your metal cookie sheet and turn it upside down. Pour your melted chocolate on top.
5. Using a flat spatula, spread the chocolate out on the sheet in an extremely thin layer.
6. Place the chocolate-covered cookie sheet in the freezer and let set for about two minutes. You know it’s ready when you press on it with your finger and it leaves a slight fingermark, but not a depression.
7. Use a sharp-edged spatula and begin to scrape the chocolate from the bottom of the pan. When the chocolate is just the right temperature, it will curl instead of break. If it’s too hard, let it set out a minute to soften/warmup.
8. Throughout the scraping process, if the chocolate gets too hard, give it a minute, and then try again. If it gets too soft, stick it back in the freezer for a minute.
And voila! You’ll have a bunch of fancy little chocolate curls!
Note: Transfer the curls to a cold pan or plate as son as possible and stick them in the freezer to harden. You can prepare these ahead of time too and store them in the freezer in a plastic bag until you need them.